Greetings and Salutations,
Well, it’s coming up to that time again, the Last Friday of July is the System Administrators Appreciation day. This year it lands on Friday, July 29.
For those that don’t know, it’s a special day organised to acknowledge the worthiness and appreciation of the people who help keep the systems running.
Let’s face it, they get no respect 364 (365 during leap years) days a year.
This is the day that all System Administrators across the globe, will be showered with expensive sports cars and large piles of cash in appreciation of their diligent work.
Since that isn’t likely to happen … a nice token gift and some public acknowledgement would go a long way to show them that their hard work is appreciated.
It’s the least you could do. Really.
Do you ever consider all the daunting tasks and long hours (weekends and public holidays too!) they must achieve to allow you to do the most simple and granted tasks? Do you know what they must achieve just so you can post that 3Mb video of the annoying phone frog being shot by a care bear to 300 hundred of your mates, without so much as a hitch from your client?
Let’s be honest, sometimes you don’t know your System Administrators as well as they know you.
Remember this is one day to recognize your System Administrator for their workplace contributions and to promote professional excellence.
At the very least, thank them for all the things they do for you and your business.
If you’re not sure what to get them, the best place to start is the Think Geek Gifts for Sysadmins Page.
For the ultimate gift, give them the gift that lasts all year! Pay for a year’s membership to a body of their peers!
- For US/Canadian System Administrators: SAGE
- For Australian/New Zealand System Administrators: SAGE-AU
- For the Irish System Administrators: SAGE-IE
- For the System Administrators who are Welsh, Irish, Scottish or English : SAGE-WISE
Further (humorous) links:
- Sys Admin Day (2002) Song
- Advice to Employees the Proper Use of the System Administrator’s Valuable Time
- Tina’s Computer Geek Humor & Jokes
- Why You Can’t Find Your System Administrator
- A Week in the Life of a System Administrator
- 101 Things You Do Not Want Your System Administrator To Say
- Tech Tales – The funniest tech support stories on the Internet